Recent Entries
CHD During a Job Interview: To Mention or Not to Mention?
Moderation … Yeah, That’s a Thing
A Thankfulness Theme
The Fearless Factor
A Time to be Grateful
Sharing My CHD Story in France
My Split ACHD Personality
Living Past the Expiration Date
Testing, Testing
I Am Not Immune To Cancer
Search

Disclaimer

The opinions expressed by ACHA bloggers and those providing comments on the ACHA Blog are theirs alone, and do not reflect the opinions of the Adult Congenital Heart Association or any employee thereof. ACHA is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by the ACHA bloggers.

The contents of this blog are presented for informational purposes only, and should not be substituted for professional advice. Always consult your physicians with your questions and concerns.

Author: Created: 5/17/2011 1:10 PM RssIcon
Our ACHA bloggers will post about many topics relevant to the CHD community.
By ACHA on 2/24/2014 2:02 PM

By Meghann Ackerman

A few weeks ago, a friend told me she liked my blog posts and asked when the next was coming out. I told her when I was on the schedule, but admitted that I had no idea what I was going to write about. Nothing new is going on with Victor’s heart and unless there’s an impending doctor’s appointment (or blog deadline), it’s not something that comes up much in our daily lives.

“So write about that,” she said.

By ACHA on 2/21/2014 9:12 AM

By Christy Sillman

I thought pregnancy/labor was going to be the hardest part of being a mother with congenital heart disease, and let me tell you, it wasn’t exactly a walk in the park—but what I’ve found most surprising is how challenging motherhood itself would be in the face of my CHD.

Regardless of how you become a parent – old fashioned baby-making vs. surrogacy vs. adoption – you never really know what you’re getting into until you’re there. It’s a club only parents understand. I thought working 12-hour night shifts in a busy pediatric ICU was motherhood “training,” but little did I know that I’d later view those 12-hour shifts as my mommy breaks!

By ACHA on 2/18/2014 8:42 AM

By Jon Ritchings, Jr.

It never fails to amaze me how happy a great visit to my ACHD doctor can make me. For me it’s like winning the lottery. There are a bunch of mixed emotions that crash together inside me. Elation at the good news. The drastic change from slight anxiousness to full-on relief. Pride in the fact that I did everything I was asked to do—and more—to get healthier. And definitely gratitude to my entire cardiac team for repairing all my heart’s broken bits and the guidance on what I should do to get healthy.

By ACHA on 2/13/2014 12:53 PM

By Kim Russell

It seems that society has trained us to think of exercise in terms of weight maintenance and toning muscles. But my experience has shown that it does a whole lot more! No energy to exercise, you say? Let me share my story. I found that my thinking was clearer, my pulmonary function was much better and I felt so much better as a person by exercising! Even starting with the smallest, slowest of exercises is still helpful. Here’s how I know!

Two years ago I arrived at my cardiology appointment fatigued, blue, and frustrated. The doctor explained that none of the tests, echos, EKGs or bloodwork showed any serious changes related to my heart. Once again, my cardiologists reviewed the “CHD rules” for dental care, sodium restrictions and exercise.

“You are exercising, right?” she asked.

By ACHA on 2/11/2014 12:08 PM

By Beth Adams

Most physicians make bad patients, and I am no exception. I much prefer sitting on the stool, laptop in front of me, changing medications, ordering tests, and offering advice instead of being on the receiving end of those things. Perhaps it’s for those reasons that I dislike my own cardiology visits so much.

While most of my friends and a number of my patients know about my CHD, most of my colleagues do not, which makes for interesting situations periodically. It’s not that it’s a secret, necessarily, it just doesn’t come up in daily conversation all that often. “Hey, did you see the Eagles game last night, and oh, by the way, did you know I have a CHD?” Perhaps not.

By ACHA on 2/7/2014 11:56 AM

By Ryan Leist

My first involvement with the Adult Congenital Heart Association was last May at the Congenital Heart Walk in Indianapolis. I signed up to be a volunteer to check out what the organization was like and it turned out to be a life-changing experience.

Growing up in a small town, I never encountered anyone with heart defects, so going to an event to meet so many kids and adults was overwhelming. After speaking with others, I felt so lucky to live a relatively normal life with CHD thus far and I wanted to do my part to help raise awareness and funds for ACHA.

By ACHA on 2/3/2014 2:44 PM

By Anne Gammon
ACHA Board of Directors Vice Chair

The deadline to register for this year’s Advocacy Day, which is Feb. 26-27, is in just a few days. If you have never attended, please consider doing so; an empowering and inspirational day awaits.

The first year I attended was in 2009, representing a pediatric organization as our daughter with CHD, Shay, was just 8 years old. For so many years, we had thought of Shay’s life in terms of days and eventually years, but never decades.

By ACHA on 1/29/2014 1:49 PM

By Kim Edgren

I had another post all set to go today but after watching the State of the Union address last night I changed my mind. I promise—no politics! It made me think about resilience, community and commitments made, which led me to think about ACHA…. Well, OK, maybe that is my short attention span! But seriously, the months ahead are full of opportunities for our CHD community to make commitments, show our resilience and be heard. How, you ask?

By ACHA on 1/27/2014 11:35 AM

By Michael Pernick

This blog series features stories involving congenital heart disease and the law. The blog posts may discuss contemporary or historical court decisions, laws or regulations, or other legal issues that relate to CHD. These posts are purely for entertainment and educational purposes and are not legal advice. Any opinions expressed in this series of posts are solely those of the author and do not represent the Adult Congenital Heart Association.

I’m writing today about one of the first times Congress discussed the importance of providing support to individuals with congenital heart disease. But before I get into that, some background…

By ACHA on 1/23/2014 1:15 PM

By Becca Atherton

Back in December I was medivaced from Phoenix to California because I was experiencing atrial flutter (AFL). The doctors were able to pace me out of it and I got to go home right in time for Christmas. But just two weeks later, I was back in AFL and had to fly up again. They were, once more, able to pace me out of it, and now there is a setting on my device that if I go back into AFL, my pacemaker/ICD will make a sound letting us know. On top of that, I was also started on a few new medications, one of which is Coumadin.