By submitting your story and/or photo to ACHA, you are giving permission for your story and/or photo to be displayed on our website. The stories on this page are the property of the individual who has provided it. Stories may be edited for content. The experiences and opinions expressed are solely those of the individual, and do not reflect the opinions of the Adult Congenital Heart Association or any employee thereof. ACHA is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied within these stories.

These stories are presented for informational purposes only, and should not be substituted for professional advice. Always consult your physicians with your questions and concerns.

Express Yourself



Jul 16

Posted by: ACHA
7/16/2013 2:59 PM  RssIcon

The Shock of My Life Being born with a heart defect was just a blessing from God. At 2 months old I underwent transposition of the great vessels (Open Heart Surgery - Transposition of the great vessels (TGV) is a group of congenital heart defects (CHDs) involving an abnormal spatial arrangement of any of the great vessels: superior and/or inferior venae cavae (SVC, IVC), pulmonary artery, pulmonary veins, and aorta. CHDs involving only the primary arteries (pulmonary artery and aorta) belong to a sub-group called transposition of the great arteries (TGA) at a CHD hospital. Growing up having to watch my own self was what I did. Taking medicines everyday was the normal routine for me. Visits to the hospital twice a year, test, studies and treatments all my life. Things changed again on December 10, 2011, a day I will never forget.


Back when I was born in 1974, I had open heart surgery -- transposition of the great vessels. Since then, I have been going about once a year for a check-up, and everything has been fine. I have refereed basketball and umpired baseball for about 20 years. I am 37 now, married with two healthy kids. Well, on December 10, 2011, I went to referee basketball -- four games in a row. After the fourth game, I knew something was not right. My heart rate shot up to 236 beats per minute and would not slow down. I was rushed to a local hospital and, while on the way I was just as calm as I am now. I told the paramedics my history (medications, surgery, etc.), and they could not believe how calm I was. The local hospital was ready for me when I got there. They had doctors and nurses waiting. They tried meds to slow my heart rate down and that did not work. So I had to be shocked. Let me say, that hurt bad! I was awake and calm when that hit. The local hospital transferred me to my CHD hospital due to my history. I was at this hospital for eight days. The nurses, doctors, food service, house keeping, and any other department I dealt with was beyond amazing! I have made so many new friends. I hated to leave the place.


Blog List
There are no categories in this blog.
Skip Navigation Links.