Roles and Responsibilities for Members of the Board of Directors
The role of the Adult Congenital Heart Association Board of Directors is to provide oversight according to its mission and bylaws, while also promoting the organization and ensuring fiscal responsibility.
Each board member is expected to:
- Prepare for and attend monthly meetings; ask for sufficient input to give informed opinions and make decisions.
- Support and counsel the National Executive Director as needed.
- Support the organization through contributing time and money throughout each year served.
- Annually make an individual financial contribution of no less than $1,000.
- Annually raise or contribute an additional minimum of $4,000.
- Evaluate the work of the board as a whole.
- At least annually, evaluate the work of the National Executive Director.
- Serve on at least one standing board committee.
- Attend one in-person board retreat annually, and possibly a second in-person board retreat annually as deemed essential by the board.
The expected time commitment is approximately 6 hours per month. Board meetings last up to approximately 2 hours in length. Committee meetings will be 4 hours or less per month.
Board terms are three years, with a maximum of two consecutive terms. A portion of the Board rotates each year.